A A A

Register | Lost password?
Contest Guidelines (read!)
May 6, 2013
9:09 am
Admin
Thanked 22 times

May 2013 - Haiku Contest

For this contest, submit a Haiku (a three line poem where the first line has 5 syllables, the second line has 7 syllables, and the third line has 5 syllables).

Submissions: 5/6/13 – 5/17/13 @ 11:59pm EST.

The Prizes
1st= $25 Amazon.com giftcard
2nd= $15 Amazon.com giftcard
3rd= $10 Amazon.com giftcard

The Rules
1) Each member can only submit 1 writing per contest
2) The writing submission must be your own work

This contest will run until 5/17/13 @ 11:59pm EST. There will be no voting poll for this contest. Instead, one of our moderators @Forgewright  agreed to be the judge. When the winners are determined on 5/18/13 an announcement will be made and the winners will be sent a private message that contains the Amazon giftcard numbers on our site. The winners will also receive forum badges and their writings will be added to the featured section. Have fun!

Disclaimer
[by submitting a writing you are agreeing to the rules, and you are giving us permission to email you the gift card numbers in the event that you are a winner. In addition, Thoughts Incorporated is neither liable nor responsible for the giftcard(s) usage. Furthermore, we reserve the right to remove submissions that violate the forum rules]

May 6, 2013
12:14 pm

Thanked 153 times

I think entries should be anonymous in contests. Then you would know you are voting on the work and not be swayed by knowing the author. It would be nice if I got a list of entries this way. Justice is blind and all that.

I am a man with one distinguishing manner. I view life as a nonstop roll by circus. Whatever my senses signal to my brain, it is received as humor.
May 6, 2013
12:59 pm
Writer
Thanked 2 times

I agree, Forge.

Why reach for the stars when you can reach for a book and have the stars, the sun and the moon.
May 6, 2013
6:00 pm

Thanked 4 times

I agree but how would we post anonymously? To post requires to be logged in and that adds our usernames.

National borders aren't even speed bumps on the information superhighway. ~Tim May
May 6, 2013
7:06 pm
Writer

Thanked 5 times

That would be neat to be able to submit anonymously but I too am unaware of a way how. I would like to offer (if this is acceptable) a helper for this contest... a website to help one count out the syllables for words. http://www.howmanysyllables.com/

“The greatest treasures are those invisible to the eye but found by the heart.”~Anon
May 6, 2013
9:01 pm
Writer
Thanked 2 times

How about not posting anonymously but maybe having a way where the writing goes to the judge without the posters name. Don't know if that could be done.

Why reach for the stars when you can reach for a book and have the stars, the sun and the moon.
May 6, 2013
10:06 pm
Admin
Thanked 22 times

Forgewright said
I think entries should be anonymous in contests. Then you would know you are voting on the work and not be swayed by knowing the author. It would be nice if I got a list of entries this way. Justice is blind and all that.

Having entries that are posted into contests be anonymous is being considered.

May 8, 2013
2:09 pm

Thanked 9 times

I do think anonymous posting for contests may be a good idea.I'm glad that this month's contest is haiku, because I had never written it before and I had just been thinking a haiku contest on here would be a good idea.I've learned more about it..

May 8, 2013
8:39 pm

Thanked 228 times

It could be hidden to everyone except the admin, who would then announce the winner after the judge selected the piece... I think this would be awesome and would make judging and contests WAY more fun :) .

Wine is bottled poetry. ~ Robert Louis Stevenson

Most Users Online: 144

Currently Online:
10 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

c4a1g: 611

craigb12: 509

DivRem: 303

luv2rite: 260

Member Stats: