A A A

Register | Lost password?
In a Room Made of Poetry (cento found poem)
April 4, 2014
8:21 pm

Thanked 228 times

Where the geese rise and depart,

heaven is murky,

for now, above earth and

as wide as my loss.

Think how loss pulls language from us until

it swallows everything,

like undiagnosed cancer,

the accumulated past—

less eye, less mouth, less heart.

We had, not much—

thin coffee, thin socks. Here you can

wait, with desire, with

roots exposed

for an open womb. That heart-balm

as hope. The raw

bent—a bowl of fruit

in a language I never knew . . .

without tails, crosses of ts. The autonomous dot of a

blackness answers, “There are only ifs.” All

the easy, empty space we hadn’t seen

of the heart containing everything:

a gray scarf, the stain of pomegranates

the attitude and posture of slow mercy.

And single, I listen,

breathe too much, wept, and

still long for three.

The chairs and the words, lean them,

carefully closing a wound.

Because of pills, abstinence,

that loneliness is balanced

only by echoes.

To die—gracefully—full of our own

without.

Found in The Eyes of a Flounder by Laura Hamblin (page numbers in order of above lines): 6, 34, 43, 33, 25, 9, 58, 40, 61, 50, 55, 30, 3, 39, 42, 66, 67, 62, 8, 47, 48, 64, 37, 19, 7, 5, 38, 27, 29, 49, 28, 35, 56 and title also from page 64.

Wine is bottled poetry. ~ Robert Louis Stevenson
April 22, 2014
12:31 am
Writer
Thanked 20 times

WOW!

I can't tell you how beautiful this poem is.  There are lines here that I believe are perfect.  "We had, not much -"  that line would have been excellent but you added "thin coffee, think socks".  How did you come up with that?  There is so much more gorgeous prose, I could almost go line by line.  How did you get "there are only ifs"?  Can you teach me?   The last line is great especially the way you presented "full of our own" and putting "without" on a line by itself.  Full of our own without, truly great.  I guess you can say that I like this piece, a lot. I'm going to read it again after I post this reply.

April 22, 2014
7:03 pm

Thanked 228 times

OK, so since this one was for the contest, I couldn't say it was a "Found" poem or everyone would know it was me that wrote it. This is a found poetry form called a Cento. Basically, you take a single line from several poems and rearrange them in such a way to create a new piece of poetry. I am glad you appreciate the beauty of each of the individual lines in the same way I did. They come from my friend and past professor's work. Her name is Laura Hamblin and she is an astonishing poet. I'll update it here with the credit shortly. I took each line from a different poem in her only published book of poetry as an homage to her. I read this the other day at a reading where several of her students and past students attended and it was well received. I still need to read it to her... we're getting together soon so I can do just that. I should have updated this sooner, thanks for the reminder!

April 22, 2014
7:05 pm

Thanked 228 times

Oh, and as far as learning... the best way to learn is to mimic your favorite poets, practice writing the way the write. Some of my best original work has been inspired by other poets. Read lots... that's how to learn :).

April 22, 2014
7:10 pm

Thanked 228 times

@aziz here's an example of what I mean by mimicking... the poem in the link below was written from my own perspective, but with the same concepts as a poem called Walking Around by Neruda. If you read them side by side, you can see the resemblance, yet mine is a completely original piece. 

http://thoughtsinc.net/forum/free-verse-1/waiting-around-in-response-t.....ng-around/

The following users say thank you to tlhopkinson for this useful post:

aziz

Most Users Online: 144

Currently Online:
11 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

c4a1g: 610

craigb12: 509

DivRem: 303